Friday, January 20, 2006

Top 5

Remember the movie "High Fidelity" with John Cusack? The one where he had his "Top 5" lists? In it he's a record store owner, and he and his ex-girlfriend were discussing his "Top 5 Careers" list and their conversation went like this...

Laura: "Number 5... architect. Rob, wouldn't you rather own a record store than be an architect?"

Rob: "Well.... yeah."

Laura: (writing) "Number 5... record store owner."

The point being that you might think you want to do something simply because it's not what you're doing now. I tried to make a "Top 5 Careers I Think I May Somewhat Enjoy"-type list. It's effing hard! Let me explain.

I'm done with school for the moment, and have lately had many internal debates with myself on the pros and cons of going back for an MBA. I've come to the conclusion that I have neither the funds (MGM MIRAGE will pay for undergrad courses, but graduate classes must be directly related to your job -- somehow I don't think they have graduate courses in event planning) nor the time to go back to school right now.

When and if I did go back, then why? Yeah, I went to school for Hotel Management. I haven't done that yet. My concentration was Entertainment and Event Management. I've done that. I enjoy it...sorta. Can I see myself doing it forever? Truth is, no.

Top 5 Things I Wouldn't Hate Doing:
1. Security Manager for Disneyland Resort
2. Stadium/Arena Operations Manager for Arrowhead Pond/Edison Field (are we seeing a location trend yet?)
3. (TBD))
4. (TBD)
5. (TBD)

It's a partial list, but one I intend to return to after I do some more of those "Career Finder" quizzes.

Oh yeah, and my mom told me she thinks I should be a news anchorwoman. I love my mom.

JDM

No comments: