Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent. In Western Christianity, Lent is the forty-day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. There are traditionally forty days in Lent which are marked by fasting, both from foods and festivities, and by other acts of penance. Today, some people give up something they enjoy, and often give the time or money spent doing that thing to charitable purposes or organizations.

I'm Catholic... sorta. I was baptized Catholic, but as far as traditionally practicing, that was as far as I made it. I've never attended mass regularly, but when I did attend, it was the only church I've ever know and identified with. It was where I went when Mr. Mitchell passed and where I hope to be married someday.

What should I give up for Lent? My co-worker, Merrie-Hope, passed along some advice from her pastor. He said instead of giving something up, people could add something, like giving to a charity or giving one person a compliment each day.

I've added the gym to my daily life, but that's something that benefits me. I could give up buying new clothes until Easter, but how would that help a cause larger than my own?

So instead, I've decided to increase the donation I make to charity in each of my paychecks through the Lent season. The increased amount will go to the Injured Police Officers Fund, a cause that is near and dear to my heart, but will also serve a greater good.

Serious blogs are not in my nature, even though this one was for a good reason. To lighten the mood, please enjoy an oddly appropriate "Pearls Before Swine":


JDM

No comments: