Thursday, February 23, 2006

Classy.

Last night was the Employee of the Year Gala at Bellagio. Executives and nominees from each property on the "Mirage Resorts" side of MGM MIRAGE, including Beau Rivage this year as their hotel has not reopened yet in Biloxi, gather at host-property Bellagio for a huge red-carpet-style gala. Each Employee Services department works the first part of the evening, and then we're free to mingle and enjoy the entertainment.

My co-worker Susan and I were distributing seat assignments at the registration desk for the first part of the evening. Things were going quite smoothly, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of familiar faces from my time at Bellagio. Lots of old bosses from Security and the Ticket Office.

One lady, an invited guest from Bellagio, came up and gave Susan her name. She had no seat assignment, but that wasn't unusual. Normally it could be found by looking it up in the computer's RSVP list. She thought it may have been under a different guest's name, and decided to check over at the other registration desk. When she couldn't find it there, she returned to our desk and spoke with one of the Bellagio representatives, Juan. I didn't pay much attention to their exchange until I heard Juan telling her, "Ma'am, this event is for employees only."

Lady: "What? But I worked here when I was invited! I RSVP'd!!"

Juan: "I understand that, ma'am, but you are no longer an employee here."

Lady: "So you took my invitation away? Someone could have told me! I can't believe this. After 7 years, thanks a lot. "

(Making a scene now, as she walks away)

"That's jacked, wow, screw you all..."

Isn't that just classy? All I could think was, if you don't work for the company, why on earth would you think you were still invited to a company event? Especially the biggest company event we have? Apparently that's something she didn't learn during her 7 years at Bellagio, eh?

The event was beautiful, we had lobster and prime rib and a dessert that was shaped funny and looked like styrofoam but entirely edible. And in true MGM MIRAGE fashion, our entertainment was last weekend's Mirage headliner, Brad Garrett, from Everybody Loves Raymond. He was hilariously off-color, and everyone loved it.

We got some great pictures and I plan on posting some here as soon as get them from the digital camera. The event is black-tie optional and everyone looked fabulous. I loved my dress (see right) but wearing it made me remember why I truly despise nylons and heels. But it's nice to get girly every once in a while, I guess...

JDM

No comments: